I think about games too much. I also make them. I never want to stop growing alongside the games I make. (Alex’s own “gimmick platformers” include Asphyx, Fishbane, Starseed Pilgrim, and Inconsiderate Climbers among many others.)
Gimmick With a Platformer
1:00PM - 4:00PM Electric Perfume on Google Maps. Link opens in a seperate tab or window. • 805 Danforth Ave, Toronto Price • $40 + HST (non-members)
$25 + HST (members)
Experimenting through the lens of The Platformer, an enduring and familiar genre.
Droqen: “I’ve been making platformers for years upon years, and I’ve built a handy tool for building basic platformers in Unity. It should be just enough to sidestep the structural work involved of making the basic framework of a game so that we can focus on experimental design.
You’ll be learning how to devise a valuable core game mechanic (a “gimmick”), how to prototype it, and how to develop it further without succumbing to listlessness or feature creep.
Finally, this workshop is not about learning how to make platformers — it’s about how to make gimmicks (platformers are just the vehicle I’m most comfortable with personally). You should be able to apply these skills to any genre of your choice… even one that doesn’t exist yet.”
- Unity 3D ** Install Before Workshop***
- Basic game design understanding and strong game literacy are required
About The Instructor
About Hand Eye Society
The Hand Eye Society is a Toronto not-for-profit dedicated to supporting and showcasing videogames made primarily as a form of creative expression.
We provide audience development, education, creative opportunities, mentorship, knowledge sharing and inspiration to game creators, enthusiasts, and the game-curious in Toronto.
Founded in 2009, it is the first videogame arts organization in the world.
- firstname.lastname@example.org . Links to your defualt email application or website.
805 Danforth Ave.
Toronto Ontario, Canada
View Electric Perfume on Google Maps . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.
- Check out what's on or
for bookings or inquiries email us including
- Subject → EP Bookings - Inquiry
- Name → First, Last
- Booking Time/Date (if applicable) → Month, Day, Time + Range
- General Info → We can't wait to hear from you!
- Connect With Us
- Electric Perfume on Facebook . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.
- Electric Perfume on Twitter . Link opens in a seperate tab or window.